Skip to content

For members of the Local Government Pension Scheme in England and Wales

What information will I need?

This news article was published on 04 Nov 2021

You will need specific information about your LGPS benefits as part of the proceedings for a divorce, judicial separation or nullity of marriage, or for dissolution, separation or nullity of a civil partnership. You or your solicitor should contact your pension fund for this information, including an estimate of the cash equivalent value of your pension rights. The Court will take this value into account in your settlement. In Scotland, only the pension rights built up during your marriage or civil partnership are taken into account.

You usually get one free cash equivalent value estimate each year. Any other costs for supplying information or complying with a Court Order will be recovered from you and/or your ex-spouse or ex-civil partner. You can ask your pension fund for a schedule of charges.

All correspondence received by your pension fund in connection with divorce or dissolution proceedings will be acknowledged in writing. If you do not receive and acknowledgement, you should contact your pension fund to make sure your correspondence has been received.

Was this page helpful?