Hello and welcome to our new website. This site is for members of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) in England and Wales and their families.
Pensions can appear complicated, so we decided it’s time for a change. We’ve transformed our brand and website to improve your experience. Our new website has:
- simple navigation
- easy to use tools and calculators
- useful links, hints and tips
- helpful videos
- new pages and updated content
- faster and more detailed search.
It’s also mobile friendly and accessible to everyone. We hope you enjoy browsing!
If you are looking for an introduction to the Scheme:
- visit the Key features page to find out about the highlights of the LGPS
- watch our ‘Pensions made simple’ Videos for bitesize introductions to a range of topics.
You can find more detailed information about the LGPS in the main body of the website:
- The Paying in section provides a wealth of information for you if you are currently paying into the Scheme. This includes your options to pay more or less into your pension and what happens to your pension if you are away from work.
- Read more about taking your pension in the Planning section. You can find out when you can take your pension, when it will be reduced and your choice to swap pension to provide tax-free cash.
- Visit Thinking of leaving to find out about your options if you leave the LGPS before you take your pension. If you are thinking about transferring your LGPS pension to another scheme, make sure you know how to spot Pension scams.
You can use our Tools and calculators to model how the Scheme works. We have tools that show how your pension account builds up, what contributions you will pay, how much tax-free cash you could take when you take your pension and the cost of buying extra pension.
If you are looking for something specific on this site:
- read the Frequently asked questions or
- use the improved search facility to find the information you need.
Pensions is a complicated and technical subject. Use the Glossary to find out the meaning of words and phrases that we use on this site.
About this website
This website is maintained by the Local Government Association. You can find general information about the LGPS on the site. You may need to Contact your pension fund for more information about your pension account, your options and your personal circumstances.