Skip to content

For members of the Local Government Pension Scheme in England and Wales

How to complain

Who can help you if you have a query or complaint?

If you are in any doubt about what you are entitled to in the LGPS, or you have a problem or question, Contact your pension fund. They will seek to clarify any misunderstandings or put right any errors quickly and efficiently.

If you have a query about your contribution rate, contact your employer’s HR or Payroll section. They can explain how they have decided which contribution band you are in.

If you are not satisfied with any decision made about the LGPS, or a failure to make a decision, you can complain. Your complaint will be reviewed under the Scheme’s Internal disputes resolutions procedure. There are also other regulatory bodies that may be able to help you.

Internal disputes resolution procedure

Stage 1: Write to the adjudicator of the body who made the decision that you want to complain about. You must do this within six months of the date you were notified of the decision, or the date of the act or omission that you are complaining about. The adjudicator may allow a longer period. Stage one is a formal review of the initial decision, act or omission. The adjudicator will consider your complaint and notify you of his or her decision.

Stage 2: If you are dissatisfied with the adjudicator’s decision or their failure to make a decision, you can apply to your pension fund to have it reconsidered.

Contact your pension fund to find out who its adjudicator is, and the adjudicator chosen by your employer. Your pension fund can give you a leaflet with more information about the Internal disputes resolution procedure and the time limits that apply. It may also have a form that you should fill in if you want to make a complaint. You can also ask your employer for further information.

Other sources of help

MoneyHelper is the easy way to get free, independent help for your pension and money choices. MoneyHelper can help members and beneficiaries with any questions or guidance about their pension benefits. You can find out more on the MoneyHelper Pensions & Retirement - This link opens in a new browser window website.

The Pensions Ombudsman deals with complaints about the administration or management of your pension scheme. You have the right to refer your complaint to the Pensions Ombudsman free of charge. There is no limit to the amount of money that the Pensions Ombudsman can award you. Its determinations are legally binding and enforceable in court.

You must contact the Pensions Ombudsman within three years of the event you are complaining about happening. If later, you can complain within three years of when you first ought to have known about it. There is a discretion for these time limits to be extended.

Visit the Pensions Ombudsman’s website - This link opens in a new browser window to find contact details and to submit a complaint form online.

Was this page helpful?