Your employer may postpone automatically enrolling you into the LGPS for a maximum period of three months. Your employer may choose to do this if you are:
- employed on a short-term contract for less than three months
- paid arrears of salary that mean your earnings are more than the earnings trigger for automatic enrolment when your earnings would normally be below the trigger.
Your employer can only use postponement from:
- their staging date – the date that automatic enrolment applies to the employer
- your first day of employment
- the date you were eligible to be automatically enrolled.
You can elect to join the LGPS at any time whether you are an eligible jobholder or not. Contact your pension fund for a form to use to opt into the Scheme.