Who is the lump sum death grant payable to?

Your pension fund has absolute discretion over who receives any lump sum death grant. This means it can be paid to the person(s) you have nominated on your expression of wish form, to your personal representatives or to any person who appears, at any time, to have been your relative or dependant. You should complete an expression of wish form so that your wishes as to who you would like to receive any death grant can be taken into account. This form can be obtained from your pension fund; you can complete this form, or make a new one, at anytime.

If any part of the death grant has not been paid within two years, it must be paid to your personal representatives, i.e. to your estate.

If you have paid AVCs and a lump sum is to be paid from your AVC fund, your pension fund has absolute discretion over who to pay that sum to, provided that you paid into the LGPS on or after 1 April 2014. If you left the LGPS before 1 April 2014, your administering authority must pay any AVC lump sum to your estate.