Divorce or dissolution - what is the process?

You will need specific information about your LGPS benefits as part of the proceedings for a divorce, judicial separation or nullity of marriage, or for dissolution, separation or nullity of a civil partnership. You or your solicitor should contact your pension fund for this information, including an estimate of the cash equivalent value (CEV) of your pension rights. The Court will take this value into account in your settlement. In Scotland, only the pension rights built up during your marriage / civil partnership are taken into account.

You usually get one free CEV estimate each year. Any other costs for supplying information or complying with a Court Order will be recovered from you and/or your ex-spouse or ex-civil partner in accordance with a schedule of charges available from your pension fund.

All correspondence received by your pension fund in connection with divorce or dissolution proceedings will be acknowledged in writing. If no acknowledgement is received, you should contact your pension fund to ensure that your correspondence has been received.